Last week, Peter and I went to an ornament exchange Christmas party. I got a yeti in a Santa hat, and Peter got this snowflake with 2015 inscribed on it. When he opened it up, he said, “2015 was a good year for us. I really like this.”
Of course, when we got home this called for some reflection on 2015 and for awhile we just sat there in awe of how far we have come in just one year. Here are some highlights:
- We established a clear budget that worked for us. We had tried several ways of tracking our spending and budget and finally found the way that we can consistently follow.
- We have never had credit cards, and we never want them. When things were horrible and tight and our car needed to be fixed, we sold things to make it work. This saved us from being in a tighter situation later.
- We not only met our big audacious savings goal, we beat it! We met our savings goal in September and have saved another 50% on top of that!
- We bought our washing machine in March and have been able to stay home and save time and money by doing laundry ourselves.
- We have significantly paid down our student loans (our only debt) and will be debt-free before the summer.
- Thanks to the generosity of some friends, Tristan has everything he needs until he’s 4, and it’s all nicely organized in his closet.
- We have questioned, tested, and dissected what we believe and while that is a life-long process, we have really grown a lot in response this year.
- Peter finished his personal training certification and passed his test! Thanks to our savings, we found out about the class on the last day to register and were able to pay the $700 to sign up easily – and STILL meet our savings goal by 150%!
- I started my awesome job in August. It has been a growing and stretching experience that I am so thankful to have. I’m learning everything from time management to conflict resolution to dementia care to how to be a manager. And Peter’s stress advice “it’s only a problem if there isn’t a solution” has been a huge source of calm and strength for me.
We have set some goals for 2016, but those will be in a later post. It’s so fun to look back!
What have you accomplished in 2015?